Getting away for a few days to unwind and connect with your partner is always a good idea. I grew up in the Cottonwood, Arizona and it was not as exciting in the 80’s as it is today.
Sedona is so touristy and crowded why not head someplace cooler without all the crowds? If you’re not familiar the Verde Valley consists of Clarkdale, Cornville, Cottonwood, Jerome, Lake Montezuma, McGuireville, Page Springs and Rimrock. So there are so many things to do. From Phoenix it is only about a 90 minute drive to enjoy temperatures that are usually 10 degrees cooler.
Here are some of our favorite things to do in the Verde Valley:
· Wine Tasting – Check out the Verde Valley Wine Trail for all the great spots to taste wine in actual vineyards. You can also just pop into a tasting room. There are several in Old Town. Our favorite in Cottonwood is Burning Tree Cellars and it’s next to our favorite restaurant in Cottonwood Bocce. There are several other tasting rooms in old town so be sure to click all the links for the details. In Jerome we really like Passion Cellars.
· Jerome Historic State Park – Visit the historic Douglas Mansion and learn about the mining community there in the 1800’s it’s actually very interesting and provides some great views over the Valley.
· Verde Canyon Railroad – Take a 4 hour 20 mile journey through history.
· Montezuma Castle – Check out Montezuma’s castle and see how people lived 800 years ago in the cliffs.
Cottonwood Wine Tasting
As you can see there are plenty of things to do in the Verde Valley. We recommend staying overnight for at least one night. There are some great accommodations.
· The Iron Horse Inn – This is within walking distance of great restaurants and tasting rooms so you don’t have to worry about driving. The rooms are simple, historic, clean and very affordable.
· The Tavern Hotel – Is a great boutique property that recently expanded. Also in Old Town Cottonwood.
· The Surgeons House Bed and Breakfast – This used to be the surgeons house for the Jerome hospital in the hay day. It is a cool place with a great view. Andrea the proprietor is an amazing host and makes a wonderful breakfast.
We would love to hear about your favorite places in the Verde Valley so be sure to post pictures of your visit on our facebook page.